Glendrian deserted village

Glendrian is an abandoned crofting township in the centre of the Ardnamurchan peninsula. It is a Scheduled Monument: Historic Scotland describes it as “of national importance because of its potential to contribute to our understanding of post medieval settlement and economy” The settlement was abandoned as recently as the 1940’s but incorporates information for the earlier expansion and contraction of the community who lived there.

A number of buildings remain and can still be seen varying from small rounded –cornered but-and-bens most with one or two windows, to gabled buildings with chimneys at both ends and harled exteriors, one of which has two storeys.

For more information and an extract from Kilchoan Diary ‘A History of Glendrian’ go to http://www.kilchoandiary.com

Advertisements